Objects and By-Laws
Objects and By-laws
Both the Objects and By-law were recently revised to ensure compliance with the new Canada Not-For-Profit Corporations Act (Act). The Membership voted at the AGM which was held on June 25, 2014 in Toronto to unanimously adopt the revised documents (below).
- To promote knowledge of the role of Ombudsman (which term includes Ombuds and Ombudsperson) and to develop the concept of the institution to encourage its development throughout Canada and elsewhere in order to promote fairness, social peace, justice and the protection of human rights.
- To develop and promote professional standards of practice and a Statement of Ethical Principles for Ombudsman offices in Canada.
- To encourage interaction, exchange of information, and support between Ombudsman offices in Canada.
- To encourage and support research and study into the institution of Ombudsman.
- To collect, store, and disseminate information and research data about the institution of Ombudsman.
- To develop and operate educational programs for Ombudsman offices, their staff, and other interested persons.
- To develop and promote linkages with the international community of Ombudsman.
- To recognize and support in Canada and elsewhere the establishment of the role of Ombudsman in all sectors of society whether it be private, public, not-for-profit or academic as well as the role of the Legislative Ombudsman, who investigates matters related to the administration of governmental or public sector organizations, in the protection of fundamental democratic rights.
- To undertake such other matters as are not inconsistent with the above objects.